The study and application of extremely small things is termed as Nanotechnology. Nanotechnology which is also called nanoscience is being used in science fields, such as chemistry, biology, physics, materials science, and engineering. In other terms, the characterization, production, and application of structures, systems and devices by manipulating their shape and size at the nanometer scale such as atomic, molecular, and macromolecular scale, is called nanotechnology. Nanotechnology holds potential for future discoveries, however, its drawbacks play the role of impediments.
Let us discuss the advantages and disadvantages of nanotechnology.
Benefits of Nanotechnology
- Many areas of the manufacturing industry are being revolutionized because of nanotechnology. This is being done by making new material available at ease. For example, nanoparticles and nanotubes, that are particles and tubes only a few atoms across, are making way for superior products and new techniques. In addition, robots that are only a few nanometers in length, called nanobots, and nanofactories could help construct novel materials and objects.
- The other upside of Nanotechnology is related to the energy sector. With nanoscience technology- production, absorption and the storage of energy in some devices can be done more effectively. For example, items such as solar cells, fuel cells, batteries can be reduced in size but their efficiency can be enhanced by making them evolve to be compatible for storing and producing enough power or energy.
- Owing to nanotechnology, some remarkable achievements can be seen in the arena of medicine. An advancement that has proved a boon for medical science is the use of Nanobots that could be sent into a patient’s arteries so that any blockages could be cleared. Not only this, with the help of nanotechnology , surgeries can be performed faster and more accurately .Drug production can also be refined by tailoring them at a molecular level. In this way, their efficacy can be increased and side effects can be reduced too.
- Nanotechnology is all set to change the way the field of electronics works. For instance, tiny light-producing cells that are called Quantum could be used for purposes like display screens and for illumination. Nanotechnology has the potential to allow circuits to be made precisely on an atomic level.
Drawbacks of Nanotechnology
- Not all industries are benefiting from nanotechnology. If nanotechnology develops alternatives of fossil fuels, it can lower the value of oil and diamonds. Due to the development of products at the molecular level, diamonds have the possibility of losing their value owing to the reason they can now be mass produced.
- Although nanotechnology focuses on positive development, inadvertently, it can be proved devastating as atomic weapons can now be more powerful and more destructive. These hazardous instruments can also become more accessible due to nanotechnology.
- Major changes in many economic areas will be observed because of nanotechnology. The fact that the products created by nanotechnology are pretty difficult to manufacture, they are likely to be expensive.
- Nanotechnology is responsible for producing small particles, therefore, problems can arise if these minute particles are inhaled. Many toxicological studies have been published that concluded that health risks following the exposure to nanomaterials are associated with nanotechnology. According to these studies, the toxicity of any given substance is increased if it is of greater dimensions as compared to other particles with nanometric dimension.
- Another negative future scenario that was put forth by some scientists who were researching about the adverse impacts of nanotechnology is the “gray goo” scenario, in which the self-replicating nanobots consume almost everything around them so that they can make copies of themselves.Though,this once widely discussed scenario is no longer believed to be threatening. Hoevever, it is possible that there are more likely to be some negative impacts on the environment as few potential new toxins may be created by nanotechnology.
- It is a known fact that machines do often replace skilled employees. But what about unskilled and labor workers? No doubt that people are still employed to handle tasks that machines cannot manage yet the technological thrust of manufacturing advanced products with the help of nanoscience calls for a higher level of training and education. That is why, the future seems to hold something else! The bottom line is, nanotechnology can leave some factory workers with few options for job security.
Nanoscience or nanotechnology is all geared up for bringing advanced changes in many areas of human life. Nevertheless, those advancements should not be made by completely neglecting its downsides.
- https://upcomingin20 com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-nanotechnology